Suffering a Snake Bite

While all snakes are capable of biting, only venomous species carry any inherent danger to humans and pets. Though bites from non-venomous species, such as garter snakes, rat snakes, and various water snakes may be painful, they often barely break the skin. Conversely, bites from copperheads, cottonmouths, and rattlesnakes can lead to various health issues without proper treatment, up to and including death. Curious pets can fall victim, as well. Reports of snake bites on dogs rise in the warmer months.

Issues Stemming from Snake Bites

Most of these pests avoid people when possible, but are more likely to bite if surprised or threatened. Any snake bite should be treated seriously, even if the species responsible is believed to be non-venomous. Certain symptoms are likely to occur when bitten by a venomous snake: blurred vision, excessive sweating, parched mouth, loss of coordination or dizziness, nausea, and severe numbness. It is important to clean the affected area, remember what the snake looked like, and seek immediate medical help. Contrary to popular belief, it is not suggested to suck the venom out of snake bite wounds.

Control and Removal

Snakes are an important part of any ecosystem, helping control rodent populations, amphibians, and certain insects. Nevertheless, the stigma associated with snakes can lead to dangerous interactions. To prevent being bitten by these pests, the best idea is to avoid them or to leave them alone. When this is no longer possible, contacting the trained wildlife professionals at Trutech is the best option to safely and humanely remove snakes.