Note to Our Customers: Our number one priority at Trutech Wildlife Service is protecting the safety of our employees and customers. Our work has been designated as an essential service by the Homeland Security Office and we will maintain our commitment of providing service to our customers. Services will be conducted focusing on the exterior of homes and businesses. If inside service is critical, we are practicing appropriate social distancing to ensure the safety of our employees and customers.
How Long Do Snakes Live?
Snake lifespan can vary depending on the animal’s species. For some types of snakes, living in a natural habitat versus under human care affects longevity. Specific examples include:
- Garter snakes – This species often survives for twenty years in captivity but averages only two in the wild.
- Brown snakes – While they often die young in nature, brown snakes can live up to seven years.
- Eastern hognose snake – The eastern hognose snake lifespan is about eleven years.
- Kingsnakes – These reptiles survive an average of five years in nature, but some live for over thirty years when captive.
- Black racers – This snake’s lifespan averages about a decade regardless of setting.
- Southern copperhead – The pests can survive in the wild for around fifteen years, but their life expectancy doubles in captivity.
There are many factors that impact how long snakes live. In the wild, predators, climate, availability of prey, and other factors affect the average snake lifespan.
Maturity in the Snake Life Cycle
Reproductive maturity usually occurs between one and four years of age within a snake’s lifespan. Some species, like the black rat snake, mature between ages seven and nine. This is when snakes begin giving birth or laying eggs.
While they do not cause property damage, snakes often hide in debris or brush. When disturbed, the pests may strike. Venomous snakes that come indoors looking for food and shelter may also endanger residents. The professionals at Trutech have the expertise to handle any snake problems safely.