Note to Our Customers: Our number one priority at Trutech Wildlife Service is protecting the safety of our employees and customers. Our work has been designated as an essential service by the Homeland Security Office and we will maintain our commitment of providing service to our customers. Services will be conducted focusing on the exterior of homes and businesses. If inside service is critical, we are practicing appropriate social distancing to ensure the safety of our employees and customers.
Are Pigeons Dangerous?
Since they depend on humans for food and shelter, pigeons are often found roosting in residential areas. These noisy pests gather in yards and on roofs in large numbers, which can overwhelm homeowners.
Pigeon poop is a serious issue as well. It collects on sidewalks and the sides of buildings, creating slipping hazards and staining homes. The pests’ feces also spread several pigeon diseases.
Types of Pigeon Diseases
Illnesses spread via these birds’ droppings include:
- Histoplasmosis – This airborne fungal sickness affects the respiratory system, sometimes with fatal results.
- Salmonellosis – Often called food poisoning, a Salmonella bacterial infection causes stomach pain, chills, fatigue, and fever.
- Psittacosis – Spread through the inhaled dust of dried pigeon poop, this disease leads to fever, chills, muscle pain, and difficulty breathing.
- Toxoplasmosis – Pregnant women and people with lower immune function are more affected by this parasite. Infected individuals suffer flu-like symptoms.
- Cryptococcosis – Another fungal ailment that results in lung infection, cryptococcosis can spread to the brain and is potentially fatal.
- Newcastle Disease – Though it can be transmitted to humans, this illness typically affects other birds like poultry. It causes sudden death.
In addition to these pigeon diseases, the pests host fleas, lice, mites, and ticks. The parasites also carry harmful illnesses, such as Lyme disease, that can be spread to humans.
How to Control Pigeons
Because of the health risks involved, it’s important to get a handle on infestations as soon as possible. If pigeon disease symptoms occur, those affected should seek immediate medical attention.
To avoid pigeon diseases altogether, contact the professionals at Trutech to remove these pests as soon as they appear.