Suspect a raccoon in your home? Schedule an inspection today.
What do raccoons sound like?
Get Rid of Raccoons
Common Raccoon Noises
Raccoons are nocturnal creatures and loud. It is not uncommon for raccoons to disrupt your sleep. Raccoons gravitate towards attics and wall cavities.
You might hear:
- Cooing, chirping, or squeaking from baby raccoons.
- Chirring, purring, or whistling from a mother's response.
- Yowling, growling, and hissing if raccoons are fighting.
- Barking noises if a raccoon is in distress
- Thumping, rustling, and dragging as a raccoon moves through your attic
- Scratching when they make their dens
You will most likely hear these noises emanating from attics. Insulation makes an ideal material for raccoons to create nests.
Problems Caused by Raccoons
Raccoons in and around houses create sanitary issues as well as disturbing sounds. They ruthlessly tear apart garbage bags, tossing trash everywhere while rummaging for edibles. In addition, their repulsive fecal piles, known as latrines, grow as long as the raccoons are present. Roundworms often live within these droppings, putting humans at risk of contracting baylisascaris. Latrines are also associated with leptospirosis, a cause of fever as well as liver and kidney problems. For these reasons, contact Trutech as soon as raccoon noises are heard within the home.